Admission to the IPD program is competitive. Each year, we strive to create a cohort of people from diverse backgrounds with complementary skills who can learn from each other and contribute to the culture of the program. We welcome applicants who aren't satisfied with the status quo, enjoy working in a collaborative environment, naturally make connections, and are passionate about their work. The application deadline for the program is February 1st.
Admission to the IPD programs
Prior to the matriculation in the M:IPD or MSE:IPD degree programs, candidates should have a background in one of the three areas: business, design arts, or engineering. Students applying to the MSE:IPD program must have a background in engineering.
Applicants can apply using the online application system Apply Yourself.
Applicants can submit their portfolio here.
Upcoming Live Chat Sessions
Admissions to the IPD program: Applicants are welcome to visit the University to learn more about IPD during one
of our Open Houses.
Application Deadline for Fall (September) Entry: February 1
The application deadline for Fall 2014 entry is February 1st, 2014. Applications are NOT reviewed on a rolling basis. The Admission Committee will begin reviewing applications promptly after February 1st. First round admission decisions will be released after March 1st. Applicants interested in applying to the program after the above dates are encouraged to contact the Program Directors or Program Coordinator.
Every application requires the following:
- Personal statement of research and professional interests
- Two (2) official letters of recommendation (one should be from a faculty member who is familiar with the candidate's scholarly abilities)
- One (1) official transcript from each university or college attended, including an academic evaluation that lists candidate's class rank and grade point average
- Submission GRE scores is required – official score report for the Graduate Record Exam (GMAT scores will be accepted)
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to satisfy our English language proficiency requirement by submitting an official score report for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with the score of at least 600 (written test), 250 (computer-based test) or 100 (Internet-based test). This requirement can be waived if the candidate has completed at least three (3) years of academic work on a full-time basis at a university-level institution in the United States or in a country in which English is recognized as the official language.
- The GRE & TOEFL reporting code is 2888.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume (optional)
- Portfolio (details below)
- Non-refundable application fee
NOTE: All paper based application materials should be sent to the following address.
Office of Academic Programs
School of Engineering and Applied Science
University of Pennsylvania
111 Towne Building
220 S. 33rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6391
Applicants to the Integrated Product Design program must submit a visual portfolio of 15 to 25 images of their work highlighting artistic, aesthetic, and creative explorations. Portfolios must be submitted digitally as a PDF document.
- A PDF document of no more than twenty 8.5 x11" pages and screen resolution (72 dpi) ONLY should be submitted. No fewer than four projects (two of which should be individual projects).
- The document should be saved as Program_LastnameFirstname_Portfolio (e.g.: IPD_SteveJones_Portfolio).
- All work should be identified as academic, professional, or personal. If professional or team projects are included in the portfolio, the specific role and responsibility of the applicant in the production of the project must be clearly identified.
- Labels and writing should clearly explain the work. Number each image for reference in accompanying text within the PDF, noting the size of the object in the image, the date created, the medium used, and if the work was collaborative, the nature of the applicant's contribution.
- Applicants should provide a form of locating reference for all articles, patents, etc if referred to in your application, such as bibliographical data, patent number etc.
- The applicant's full contact information should appear on the first page, and their name on each subsequent page of the submission.
- The applicant may also provide a web address for an online portfolio on the first page of the PDF.
- The method for submission is one PDF file, using Submit Portfolio. The submitted file size may be no larger than 10M. If you need to upload a larger document or have questions please contact Maryeileen B. Griffith. (email@example.com)