We strive to create a cohort of people from diverse backgrounds with complementary skills who can learn from each other and contribute to the culture of the program.
Who Should Apply
Admission to the IPD program is competitive. We welcome applicants who aren’t satisfied with the status quo, enjoy working in a collaborative environment, naturally make connections, and are passionate about their work.
Prior to the matriculation in the M:IPD or MSE:IPD degree programs, candidates should have a background in one of the three areas: business, design arts, or engineering. Students applying to the MSE:IPD program must have a background in engineering.
Application Deadline for Fall 2021 is Feb 1, 2021
The application deadline for August 2021 entry is February 1, 2021. Applications are NOT reviewed on a rolling basis. The Admission Committee will begin reviewing applications promptly after February 1st. First round admission decisions will be released after March 1st. IPD does utilize a wait-list process. Applicants on the wait-list will not receive a decision update until after April 15th. Applicants interested in applying to the program after the above dates are encouraged to contact the Program Directors or Program Coordinator.
Learn More About Applying
New applicants are welcome to visit the University to learn more about IPD during one of our Open Houses or register for an upcoming Online Chat. If you are a current Penn undergraduate student and would like to apply for the M:IPD or the MSE:IPD, please reference the Internal Submatriculation Applicant information. If you are a current Penn graduate student who would like to apply to the IPD Certificate, please see the School of Design website.
Submit your application online.
Have questions? Reach out to us today.
Register for an upcoming Online Chat.
Every application requires the following:
- Biographical information (part of the online application)
- Personal statement of research and professional interests
- Two (2) official letters of recommendation (one should be from a faculty member who is familiar with the candidate’s scholarly abilities)
- Portfolio (details below) is REQUIRED.
- Unofficial Transcript – submitted with application
- One  transcript form each university or college attended where course credit was earned, to be uploaded and submitted with the online application.
- Official Transcript – submitted when offer of admission is received
- One  official transcript from each university or college attended where course credit was earned. This must be submitted by the issuing institution.
- One  official final transcript, showing completion of the degree. You must also send a certificate of graduation, when the transcript does not list the degree earned. This must be submitted by the issuing institution.
- The school encourages all applicants that have attended a Chinese Institution to use the CHESSIC translation service when sending their official documentation. The first document is $12 and all additional documents are $10. Please note, it may take up to 20 business days for the documents to be electronically transmitted.
- Submission of GRE scores is required, however, for the 2021 admission cycle, the GRE will be recommended but not required – official score report for the Graduate Record Exam (GMAT scores will be accepted). The institution code to use for the GRE exam is 2888. You must take the exam by the application deadline.
- All international applicants and applicants for whom English is not the native language must submit offical scores for either the Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with the recommended score of at least 100 (TOEFL) or 7.5 (IELTS). The institution code for the TOEFL exam is 2888. You must take the exam by the application deadline.
* This requirement can be waived if the candidate has completed at least three (3) years of academic work on a full-time basis at a university-level institution in the United States or in a country in which English is recognized as the official language or where the medium of instruction is English. This is at the discretion of the individual program.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume (optional)
- Non-refundable application fee
Applicants to the Integrated Product Design program must submit a visual portfolio of their work.
The admissions committee is aware that students from different backgrounds will have different kinds of portfolios. The goal of the portfolio is to demonstrate your ability to think conceptually and analytically, showcase your ability to tell a story visually, and tell us about your work. We’re also very interested in your work process — how you do the work and why you made the decisions that you made. The admissions committee looks for students who have experience in design, engineering or business and aptitude in the other two disciplines.
Portfolios must be submitted digitally as a PDF document. Applicants may also provide a web address for an online portfolio on the first page of the PDF.
- A PDF document of no more than twenty 8.5 x11″ pages and screen resolution (72 dpi) ONLY should be submitted. No fewer than four projects (two of which should be individual projects).
- All work should be identified as academic, professional, or personal. If professional or team projects are included in the portfolio, the specific role and responsibility of the applicant in the production of the project must be clearly identified. Inclusion of independent work is encouraged.
- Labels and writing should clearly explain the work. Number each image for reference in accompanying text within the PDF, noting the size of the object in the image, the date created, the medium used, and if the work was collaborative, the nature of the applicant’s contribution.
- Applicants should provide a form of locating reference for all articles, patents, etc if referred to in your application, such as bibliographical data, patent number etc.
- The applicant’s full contact information should appear on the first page, and their name on each subsequent page of the submission.